Friday, July 25, 2008

Oh, reunion...

So. I knew this day would come since I was appointed class Treasurer and sportingly asked "This gig is going to be great...what do I have to do? Where's the cash box?" and someone replied "Oh yeah, you don't actually handle money-you're 17. You will, however, help plan all the reunions for the rest of your life. Good luck, asshole!"

Along the (cough, 10) years since my graduation I've taken some mental notes on other people's reunions and what works and what doesn't. Here are some observations:

1. Most reunions are planned "Romy and Michelle" style, with the popular girls planning everything because they want everyone to see how fabulous they still are. Fortunately, at my high school there wasn't really a "popular" crowd, per se. And people always tell me if say this you were in the popular crowd...I assure you, I was not. I have a flute to prove it.

2. People turn it into Prom all over again. Prom sucked the first and second times. Plus no one wants to spend $60 a pop plus buy something fancy they'll wear once while having a miserable time. This is clearly something the popular girls come up with to screw with everyone else's head.

3. Don't start the avalanche. Once one person says "This is gonna blow, I'm not going" then their whole group of friends decides they don't want to be Suzie School Spirit, so they aren't going to go. Pretty soon, no one's going even though most people want to go. Its classic Abilene syndrome. (And I should know, my husband was possibly the pebble that started his avalanche.)

4. "Why would I want to go, I already talk to everyone I could possibly want to keep up with." I can't argue with this one too much, except to say maybe people want to see you. Unless its $60 a piece, you don't have much to lose. If all else fails, drink a lot...you don't care about those schmucks anyway!

5. Heck, just make it one big drinking game. Everytime someone tells another person they "look so good!", you drink. This one needs no other rules, you'll be toasted in an hour.

No comments: