Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bohemian Library

So, today I go to the library to pick up a book I have on reserve.

There is usually a flock of interesting characters hanging out on the front steps of the library. This is exactly half of the reason I love going to the library. I realize these people aren't necessarily there for the books, but I have a great sense of civic homogenization when I march up the steps of the library and see all the different types of people that gather there. This is also why I feel literature is the great equalizer in our society, and therefore the greatest art form. I'm not sure if society makes literature the art of the masses by providing libraries or if literature has always been the art of the masses, creating a demand for libraries.

Back to the library steps. There I am. I see an interesting character holding a skateboard with a giant afro. Upon closer inspection this character was wearing a "Jesus Gits 'er Done" shirt. He was holding a bottle of Perrier. Wait...it gets weirder. He was wearing skin-tight leggings which were leopard print. Obviously, I looked at the guy. He was tapping away on his cell phone and as I walked by him he said "Hey," very conversationally. "Hey" I reply, basking in my little uptopian library biosphere. Then he takes my picture with his cell phone, giggles like the Wicked Witch of the West and scoots off on his skate board, Perrier in hand. Seriously.

No comments: